Lemon Butterfly Cupcakes and a Brown Bread flop!

I'd had a quiet week in the kitchen last week as we've been out enjoying the evening sun so I was looking forward to getting my bake on on Saturday but wasn't sure what I wanted to try. So I did what any indecisive person would do and left the decision to the masses. (Or in my case J)
 
I handed him the books and said "take your pick". Given the opportunity to decide I was prepared for him to ask for a black forest gateaux or a glutenous chocolate cake (anytime we walk past the cake counter in Loblaws he asks why don't I make cakes like that) but to my surprise he came back with the butterfly cupcake picture saying his mam used to make them when they were kids.
Decision made Lemon butterfly's it is!
 
These gluten free cupcakes are really easy to make. And pack a big punch. If your not a fan of lemon, the curd can be substituted for an orange curd, whipped cream or whatever your sweet bellies prefer.
 
Lemon Curd ingredients

3 Large eggs
100g (3 ½ oz) Honey
Grated zest of 1 lemon
175g (6oz) Coconut oil
110 ml Lemon juice (3/4 small lemons)
50g (2oz) Unsalted butter
 

Off the heat, use a whisk to combine the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a heavy based saucepan. Add the coconut oil and the lemon juice.

Whisk together over a medium heat until the coconut oil has melted, the mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Whisking throughout the process.

Remove from the heat and strain over a clean bowl. Gradually whisk in the butter until combined.

Allow to thicken in the fridge for 1 hour. Or store in an airtight container for up to a week.

 
Lemon Butterfly cakes

 
200g (7oz) Unsalted butter
200g (7oz) Caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 Lemon
4 Large eggs, beaten
200g (7oz) Self raising gluten free flour**
2tsp Xanthum gum
Lemon Curd
Icing sugar to decorate

 
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line muffin pan with cases. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.

Beat eggs in a separate bowl until pale yellow and frothy. Gradually add some egg a little at a time on medium, mixing well with each addition. If mixture curdles, turn the mixer up high for a few seconds and it will become smooth again.

In a separate bowl shift the flour and xanthum gum together, mix well. Using a large metal spoon fold in the flour being careful not to knock out the air.

Divide the mixture between each muffin case, filling half way. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cakes are well risen and the sponge springs back when touched.

Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack.

When the cakes are cool use a sharp knife to cut a cone shape from the top of the cupcakes. Cut the cones in half to make wings.

Pipe the chilled lemon curd into the hollowed-out cone shape in top of cupcake. Top with the two cone halves and dust with icing sugar.

**To make self raising gluten free flour I add one and a half teaspoons of baking powder with a quarter teaspoon of salt for each cup of gluten free flour**


And ………. Enjoy!



Sharing with
A dish for daily life for Foodie Friday link Party

The Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party,  

Cupcakery and the ladies for Sweet and Savoury Sundays 

Jeanine and Megan
or Gluten Free & DIY Tuesday

Kelly and the ladies for the Pinterest link up party here

 Linda at The Gluten Free Homemaker

The ladies of Work It Wednesday 

 Michelle for Whatever Goes Wednesday

The ladies of Allergy Free Wednesday

Angie @ the Novice Gardener for fiesta friday
 ________________________________________________________________ 
 


 When I started this blog I told myself I was going to share my triumphs with gluten free baking and my failures. Baking in general can be trial and error but when you add gluten free into the mix it can be a recipe for disaster. This was one of those times. It's so frustrating when we put so much effort into making something nice and not have it turn out how we envisioned. I want to share these so people know they are not the only ones that it happens too at least I hope I'm not the only one. Maybe I'm wrong and it is just me but either way posting about it makes me feel a bit better. A first world problem I know. I have little to complain about.


 
 
 

The bread was a success in terms of taste and softness but after rising perfectly before going into the oven she (Yes it's a girl) came out of the oven with a great stinking big hole in the middle. So I am sharing the picture and will practise until I turn out a proper loaf and then share the recipe.

 Feel free to drop by,say hello and share your gluten free flops. Show me I'm not the only one it happens too!

 
Michelle xxx
 

Comments

  1. Welcome to Fiesta Friday, Michelle! What beautiful lemon butterfly cupcakes! I love how you tell a story... I truly enjoyed reading your post...even about the flopped bread! Lol... That's so cool, and I look forward to seeing the recipe when you figure it out...although I tend to not care how something looks as long as it's delicious!! :-) And to me, yours is lovely. thank you so much for bringing your cupcakes to our table...I know that everyone will love them as much as I do! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments.I'm not too fussed how it looks either but just get so frustrated after putting the time and effort into it that when it doesnt work out the way it's supposed so I taught if i might get a gluten free flop support group going hehehe :-)
      Hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. well those look AMAZING!! What is self rising gf flour, I am assuming flours with baking powder mixed in? they do not have that here in the US...what flours were in the mix? Thanks for sharing with us on AFW...i really want one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tessa,

    They where super tasty!

    I add one and a half teaspoons of baking powder with a quarter teaspoon of salt for each cup of gluten free flour to make it self raising. Sorry I should probably state that in my post. I silly. Will update it :-)

    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts