Weekend Bakes...

On Sunday I had the apartment to myself so I did a bit of baking. It was a beautiful 26 degree day outside but being a pale Irish girl my poor skin can only tolerate 20 minute bursts of sunshine before it turns a wonderful shade of pink. So it was indoor activities for me.
 
I whipped up a batch of Bette Hagmans Four Flour Bread from "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread".




I have had great results with this recipe and can't recommend it enough. Other recipes I tried have left me with wonderful doorstops disguised as a loaf of bread. I haven't the words to describe the little dance I did the first time I turned out a well risen fluffy loaf of bread. It looked abit like this though.
 
Actors Piper Laurie & Rock Hudson hit the dance floor (1952). Photographer unknown. via Giuly (sweetvintagegal) on flickr
 
The mister otherwise know as J is not gluten-intolerant but has been eating gluten free along side me and loved this bread. As close to "normal" as he could hope for he said.
 
All credit goes to Bette Hagman and her team for this recipe. I have not been paid for this review, I just wanted to share a good bake turn out with other gluten-free peeps out there. I am posting the recipe as I used it. The book gives you substitutions depending on your preferences i.e dough enhancer v vinegar, butter v margarine.

Bette's Four Flour Bread

Bette's Four Flour Bread Mix         2 1/4 cups
Dry Yeast granules                       2 1/4 teaspoons

Eggs                                             1 plus 1 white
Butter                                          3 tablespoons
Vinegar                                        1/2 teaspoon
Warm water                                 1 cup (110-115 deg)


Prepare pan and combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.*

Whisk the egg and egg white, butter and vinegar in a separate bowl. Add most of the water.

Add the dry ingredients a spoonful at a time with mixer on low. The dough should have a cake batter appearance. Add the last of the water if needed.

Turn your mixer to high and beat for three and a half minutes. Spoon into prepared pan.

Let rise in a warm place** for about 35-45 minutes for rapid yeast, for regular yeast allow 60 minutes or until the dough reaches the top of the pan.

Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes, covering after 10 minutes with tin foil.

* I prepared my pan by lining the base and sides with double thickness parchment paper. My oven tends to run on the high side.

** I heat my oven on low while I am mixing the dough, turn it off and place the mix in the warm oven to rise.


Bette's Four Flour Bread Mix- makes 6 cups

Garfava bean flour       1 1/2 cups
Sorghum flour              1/2 cup
Tapioca flour               2 cups
Cormstarch                  2 cups
Xanthum gum              1 1/2 tablespoons
Salt                             1/2 tablespoon
Egg replacer                1/2 tablespoon
Sugar                           6 tablespoons

I sift these ingredients together 3 times to make sure there is a good mix. Then i put them into a large food bag and mix a bit more.


Does anyone out there know where I might find Garafava bean flour in large quantities in Toronto? I currently get it at bulk barn but they only sell small boxes. The book recommends Authentic Foods Gluten Free Supermarket http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/ but their shipping cost undo the savings of buying the large quantity.


I forgot to take pictures but I will be baking again later in the week and will update then.

Hope you had a great weekend. Great to see summer showing up.

Michelle xxx


 picture added June 12. Sorry i took so long























Comments

Popular Posts