Adventures in bread making -Take 3

So far I've been pretty impressed with my bread making attempts and when it's saving us money on the cardboard varieties available in the grocery stores I'm all for it. J did have a minor heart attack when we dropped $80 in bulk barn but once we did the maths he was cool{ish}.

He is not gluten intolerant but has noticed a significant difference in his health since he started eating gluten free with me. He used to drink gallons of Gaviscon and think nothing of it. There has been none in the house for over three years now. Connected...
I think so!! 

Giving up regular bread was a big deal for him and I wait with baited breath when he tries a new loaf for the first time. So when he said that this Sesame Bread was the "Best Yet". It can only be high praise for Bette Hagmans recipe. The recipe for the flour blend can be found here.




Dry Ingredients
Light Bean Flour Mix 3 cups
Xanthum Gum 2 1/4tsp
Salt 3/4tsp
Brown Sugar 3tbsp
Egg replacer 1  1/2tsp
Toasted Sesame Seeds 1 1/2tbsp
Dry yeast granules 2 1/4 tsp

Wet Ingredients
1 Egg plus 2 egg white
Vinegar/Dough Enhancer 3/4 tsp
Margarine 4 1/4 tbsp (cut into chunks)
Molasses 3 tsp
Warm water (110deg) 1 3/4 cups

Grease and prepare pan*. Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk the egg and egg white slightly, add the dough enhancer, margarine, molasses and most of the water. The remaining water can be added a little as a time when needed.

Add the dry ingredients a little at a time to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low. Add more water to ensure mixture is right consistency. It should look like cake batter.

Once combined beat on high for 3 and a half minutes. Put the mixture in the prepared tin, cover with cling film and set in a warm place to rise** for 35-35 minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 60 or more minutes for regular yeast or until the bread reaches the top of the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. After 10 minutes cover with tin foil. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.

* I prepared my pan by lining the base and sides with double thickness parchment paper. My oven tends to run on the high side.

** I heat my oven on low while I am mixing the dough, turn it off and place the mix in the warm oven to rise**

Now with the chief's praise ringing in my ears I think it's time to step up the challenge. I'm thinking about trying Gluten Free Sourdough bread. Has anyone tried it? Any tips before I get started?



http://www.rodalenews.com/how-make-sourdough-starter
Is bread like this even possible when gluten free??
 
 Michelle xxx


The Ultimate Pinterest Party
A prudent life and the ladies for Thursday S.T.Y.L.E Link Party

 

Comments

Popular Posts